2.12.2011

Time for a Two-Year-Old

Time stops for children. When I come home from school or wake up knowing that our two-year-old family friend, Jeddi, is here, whatever I need to get done no longer matters. Jeddi gets my undivided attention. Jeddi's family is from Africa, and they are here so that her dad can go to school. Once he graduates, they are going back home where they belong. Since her parents work in order to afford life here and her dad goes to school, Jeddi often needs to be babysat, so our family watches her. I love playing with her, but it is really impossible to not give her my undivided attention. She needs to be constantly watched and constantly listened to and constantly cared for. With Jeddi, time doesn't matter. Getting things done is irrelevant and impossible. Honestly, that is how it is for all kids. Whenever I am playing with a kid, time stops. All that matters is that I meet the child's needs moment by moment. What a lovely way to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment