I love Christmastime. It is truly the most wonderful time of the year and always fills me with cheer. I can't really explain why, but this season just makes my heart smile all around, no matter what.
That is, it had until this year. Last night was "Christmas on 5th Street," the big Christmas celebration at Baylor. Christmas parties are happening, gift exchanges, and decorations everywhere. The Christmas season is in full swing, but I'm not feeling it. My guess is it's because I'm not home. It's not really Christmas until my tree is up, and I can just sit in the living room at night starring at it. It's not really Christmas until we turn the fireplace on. It's not really christmas until the kitchen is constantly filled with incredible Christmas music. It's not really Christmas until I wake up and look out my window to a world covered in white. It's not really Christmas until I am hiding presents in my closet and under my bed so my family doesn't accidentally find them. It's not really Christmas until the evergreen in our front yard is lit up in sparkling white. It's not really Christmas until teachers are fighting kids over having holiday parties in class. It's not really Christmas until couples are appearing out of nowhere. It's not really Christmas until I'm surrounded by talk of advent. It's not really Christmas until the advent candles are lit at church every Sunday. It's not really Christmas until preparation for the Christmas show is consuming my life and rehearsals are more important than schoolwork.
I could go on and on, but I think I need to stop. I love Christmas, and I still do, but I think this year I might have to accept that Christmas, which usually starts sometime between Thanksgiving and December 1st, is not going to start until December 14th, when I get home.
Get me home.
No comments:
Post a Comment