Tonight's voice recital reminded me how much incredible talent there is at my high school. Voice recitals always do that, as well as reminding me that I am talented myself. What made tonight's recital different, better, than all the others was not the level of talent or ability, but the amount of participation. I watched thinking not about how bad I am relitivly, but how proud I am of all the people who went up there and sang. I, of all people, definitely know how frightening it is and how impossible it is to do anywhere near your best with all those insanely talented people watching you. I am so proud that, even if they were expecting failure, people went up there and performed.
I almost didn't do this last recital. I didn't want to. I knew I wouldn't be as good as many others and that I would just end up embarresing myself again, and so I just didn't think it was worth it. I did it anyways because I was afraid to let my teacher down. What I realized tonight is that it's not about being the best one up there. It's about taking that incredibly scary risk of singing a SOLO in front of a BUNCH of people. It's about challenging yourself and putting yourself outside of your comfort zone and accepting that you are not the best at everything.
So, no, I am not a very talented singer, but, through singing, I have stepped outside of my comfort zone and become okay with showing the world the things that I am just not very good at.
No comments:
Post a Comment